The Criminal Petition is filed by Sanyam Gulati “international cricket bookie” in the case of match-fixing in Karnataka Premier League (KPL) matches under Section 439 of Cr.P.C praying to enlarge the petitioner on bail for the offence punishable under Sections 420 read with 120-B and 34 of IPC before the Karnataka high court was granted on certain conditions.
Brief facts of the case
This is the case of match-fixing inducement done by Sanyam Gulati, “international cricket bookie” and Bhavesh Bafna celebrity drummer who was working as a drummer for Karnataka Premier League (KPL) matches.
Sanyam Gulati, “international cricket bookie“ who is resident of Haryana was arrested in west indies, alleging to have used the services of an Indian Premier League and KPL entertainer Bhavesh Bafna to influence players to indulge in match-fixing during Karnataka Premier League (KPL) matches.
The complainant/ Bhavesh Gulechha a cricket player, playing for Bellary Tuskers Team and was earlier playing for Jawans Cricket Club since his age was 16 years, lodged a complaint on 30.09.2019 alleging that the accused No.1/Bhavesh Bafna a celebrity Drummer was a close friend of the complainant. In the year 2019, there was a KPL Cricket Matches, Bafna working as a Drummer in Bijapur Bulls Cricket Team and in this context, it is alleged that Bafna contacted the complainant, who was a fast bowler and requested him to give 10 runs per over, but the complainant refused for the same. Thereafter also, the petitioner herein accused No.2/ Sanyam Gulati offered that he would pay Rs.2,00,000/- if the complainant accepts for the said deal. The complainant refused for the same. On the above-said allegations, a complaint came to be lodged stating that the petitioner/ Sanyam Gulati and Bafna tried to persuade the other cricket players in the same manner.
Decision of the Court
The Criminal Petition is allowed consequently, the petitioner (accused No.2) shall be enlarged on bail under the following conditions:-
- The petitioner (accused No.2) shall execute a personal bond for a sum of Rs.50,000/- (Fifty Thousand only) with one surety for the like sum to the satisfaction of the jurisdictional Court.
- The petitioner (accused No.2) shall not indulge in tampering the prosecution witnesses.
- The petitioner (accused No.2) shall appear before the jurisdictional court on all the future hearing dates unless exempted by the court for any genuine cause.
- The petitioner (accused No.2) shall not leave the jurisdiction of the trial Court without prior permission of the court until the case registered against him is disposed of.
- The petitioner (accused No.2) shall mark his attendance once in a week i.e., on every Sunday between 10.00 a.m. and 5.00 p.m. before the Investigating Officer for a period of two months or till the charge sheet is filed, whichever is earlier.
[googlepdf url=”https://libertatem.in/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/Karnataka-High-court-release-“International-Cricket-Bookie”-on-bail-who-was-arrested-on-match-fixing-inducement-in-Karnataka-Premier-League-KPL.pdf” download=”Download Judgement PDF” width=”100%” height=”900″]
For more Courtroom Updates, check out our Courtroom Page