The Karnataka High Court granted bail on several conditions to the accused who had promised to marry the victim and obtained her consent for sexual act several times. The accused had thereafter turned hostile to the victim.
Brief Facts of the Case
In Sri Rakesh Jadav N vs State Of Karnataka, on 26 November, 2020, the factual matrix of the case is that the petitioner and the victim both worked in the same shop. The petitioner had promised the victim that he will marry her and obtained the consent for sexual act-and he subjected her for sexual act several times and thereafter he turned hostile to the victim. Based on the complaint, the police have registered the case against the petitioner for the offences punishable under Sections 376, 417, 504 and 506 read with Section 34 of IPC and Sections 3(2)(va) and 3(1)(b) of the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Amendment Act, 2015.
Submission of the Petitioner
The learned counsel for the petitioner submitted that the allegation made in the complaint that the petitioner is the son of the owner, is not correct and he is also a worker. The learned counsel also submitted that the allegation made against the petitioner was only with an intention to enrich and the same is evident from the records. The learned counsel also contended that the victim took money for not filing any complaint. Thereafter, she filed the complaint on 28.08.2020. The learned counsel also submitted that the case is fit to exercise the powers under Section 438 of Cr.P.C.
Submission of the Respondent
The learned Government Pleader, of the High Court, appearing for the State, submitted that the offence alleged against the petitioner is heinous one. The petitioner committed the sexual act with the victim several times with a promise to marry her and thereafter he turned hostile. Hence, it is not a fit case to exercise the powers under Section 438 of Cr.P.C.
Observation of the Court
The Court observed that the petitioner obtained the consent of the victim for sexual act with a promise to marry her and thereafter he turned hostile. No doubt, the offence alleged against the petitioner was a serious one and the victim girl also gave consent for sexual act and thereafter an undertaking was given that she will not file any complaint and also received some amount. When such being the factual aspects of the case, it is a fit case to exercise the powers under Section 438 of Cr.P.C. The Court decided to impose certain conditions to protect the interest of the prosecution.
Order of the Court
The Court allowed the petition and directed that the petitioner shall be released on bail in the event of his arrest, subject to following conditions:
- The petitioner is supposed to surrender himself before the Investigating Officer within ten days from the date of receipt of a certified copy of this order and the petitioner is also supposed to execute a personal bond for a sum of Rs.1,00,000/- (Rupees One Lakh only) with two sureties for the like-sum to the satisfaction of the concerned Investigating Officer.
- The petitioner is not supposed to indulge in tampering the prosecution witnesses.
- The petitioner is supposed to co-operate with the Investigating Officer to complete the investigation and he shall appear before the Investigating Officer, as and when called for.
- The petitioner is not supposed to leave the jurisdiction of the Investigating Officer without prior permission till the charge-sheet is filed or for a period of three months, whichever is earlier.
- The petitioner is supposed to mark his attendance once in a month i.e., on 30th of every month between 10.00 a.m. and 5.00 p.m., before the Investigating Officer for a period of three months or till the charge-sheet is filed, whichever is earlier.
Click here to view the original judgment
Libertatem.in is now on Telegram. Follow us for regular legal updates and judgment from courts. Follow us on Google News, Instagram, LinkedIn, Facebook & Twitter. You can subscribe to our Weekly Email Updates. You can also contribute stories like this and help us spread awareness for a better society. Submit Your Post Now.