About the Company
VMware accelerates digital transformation through a software-defined approach to business and IT. The trusted platform provider of choice for more than 500,000 enterprise customers globally, VMware is the pioneer in virtualization and an innovator in cloud and business mobility. A proven leader, VMware allows customers to run, manage, connect and secure applications across clouds and devices in a common operating environment.
Our team of 25,000+ people working in 50+ locations worldwide is committed to building a community where great people want to work long term by living our values of passion, innovation, execution, teamwork, active learning and giving back. If you are ready to accelerate, innovate and lead, join us as we challenge constraints and problem solve for tomorrow today.
About the Legal Team
“Fearless legal innovators.” That’s the mantra of VMware’s Legal Team. We’re dedicated to working out creative ways to mitigate legal risks while helping the company pursue its goals in the global marketplace. We focus on accelerating revenue growth; expanding VMware’s arsenal of patents; helping shape the global regulatory environment; driving customer success; and increasing operational efficiency. We also reach out to the community by donating hundreds of hours of pro bono support. Are you interested in enriching your career by working on a diverse, award-winning team that goes beyond traditional corporate legal departments? Join our team, and you’ll help to provide strategic solutions that impact the success of our business, our customers, and the community.
VMware is seeking an Associate Employment Counsel in the Asia Pacific and Japan (APJ) to join its global Employment Law Group (ELG). This lawyer will be based in our Bangalore, India offices and will report to the Employment Counsel APJ based in Sydney. This position would ideally suit a Newly Qualified lawyer with a minimum of 3+ PQE. The primary job responsibility is to support the Employment Counsel APJ, with respect to employment law matters throughout the APJ region with a primary focus on India matters. This is a varied role, with a wide and diverse workload and would be an exciting, fast-paced, and interesting role for a junior lawyer, either straight from qualification or as an early career move in house, with the ability to actively participate in a fast-growing industry and Company. The ELG team partners closely with Human Resources and its core business partners to drive global consistency in VMware’s relationship with its employees while ensuring compliance with applicable laws.
- Help to provide support and legal advice to the wider HR team in APJ, including HR Business Partners, recruitment team, compensation and benefits, etc.
- Help to draft and roll out Company policies across APJ
- Update, draft and interpret employee-related documentations such as employment contracts, offer letters, work rules and sales commission plans and help to create an HR document database
- Support and assist the Employee Relations team and the HR team with internal investigations, performance management, terminations, employee discipline, and redundancies across APJ
- Provide support and legal advice related to government audits and administrative claims
- Help to provide legal advice on employment law related to the roll-out of corporate programs in APJ
- Provide support for Merger and acquisition activity on employment law related to the integration of employees from acquired companies throughout APJ
- Monitor APJ employment law developments and advise HR clients of those developments that may impact VMware’s business or operations.
- Partner with ELG attorneys in the Americas and EMEA on global projects and initiatives.
- Provide support to the Director and Associate General Counsel in India on statutory compliance matters in India
- Support commercial lawyers on employment-related terms
- Liaise with VMware’s outside counsel network in APJ for legal advice when required, management of fee arrangements and other administration related to the use of outside counsel
- Participate in special projects within the Legal Department as needed.
- Qualified Indian lawyer with practising certificate; additional qualification on employment laws is an added advantage
- Ideally some employment law and compliance experience, international law and employment/labour law coursework or clinical
- Plain English written skills (sample should be provided) for contract drafting and ability to provide concise legal advice
- Knowledge and experience from working with other APJ employment laws would be beneficial
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills and a great sense of collaboration and teamwork is essential
- Must be creative in developing constructive solutions to reduce legal risks
- Must be able to work mostly independently and manage to help on multiple projects at once in an exciting, fast-paced growth environment
- Must demonstrate the highest degree of professional integrity and ethics.
Before you join, VMware will require you to go through a pre-employment screening process. This means that we will want to verify your details and the information you have given us to ensure your suitability for a certain role considering its nature, seniority and other relevant factors.
Subcategory: Legal Counsel
Experience: Manager and Professional
Full Time/ Part Time: Full Time
Work From Home: No
Posted Date: 2020-01-27
VMware Company Overview: At VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
How to Apply?
Application on VMware Website