University Institute of Legal Studies, Panjab University, Chandigarh is Organizing TALEFACTORY: National Short Story Writing Competition Commemorating International Day of Tolerance on 16 November 2020.
About Panjab University
One of the oldest Universities in India, the Panjab University (PU) initiated at Lahore in 1882, has a long tradition of pursuing excellence in teaching and research in science and technology, humanities, social sciences, performing arts and sports.
University Institute of Legal Studies (UILS) was established as the constituent department of Panjab University, in the academic session 2004-05. During a short period, it has emerged as one of the premier legal Institutes with a unique blend of tradition and modernity.
About International Day of Tolerance
According to the United Nations Education Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) statement, ‘tolerance is the respect, acceptance, and appreciation of the rich diversity of our world’s cultures, our forms of expression and ways of being human.’ For its fiftieth anniversary on 16 November 1995, UNESCO’s Member States adopted a Declaration of Principles on Tolerance.
Among other things, the Declaration affirms that tolerance is respect and appreciation of the rich variety of our world’s cultures, our forms of expression and ways of being human. Tolerance recognizes the universal human rights and fundamental freedoms of others. People are naturally diverse; only tolerance can ensure the survival of mixed communities in every region of the globe.
The Declaration qualifies tolerance not only as a moral duty, but also as a political and legal requirement for individuals, groups and States. It emphasizes that States should draft new legislation when necessary to ensure equality of treatment and of opportunity for all groups and individuals in society.
Education for tolerance should aim at countering influences that lead to fear and exclusion of others and should help young people develop capacities for independent judgement, critical thinking and ethical reasoning. The diversity of our world’s many religions, languages, cultures and ethnicities is not a pretext for conflict, but is a treasure that enriches us all.
- The competition is open to all undergraduate and postgraduate students from any recognized university across India.
- Only Individual Participation is allowed.
- One author can only submit one entry for the competition, all subsequent entries will be disqualified by default.
- Incomplete and plagiarized submissions would also result in immediate disqualification.
- No restriction on number of entries from any college or university.
- Entries from students of UILS is not accepted.
- The participants must mail their entries to [email protected] ‘SUBMISSION – TOLERANCE DAY STORY COMPETITION 2020’.
- The word limit for the competition is 250-300 words.
- The language of the story should be English.
- Plagiarism of any sort would result in immediate disqualification.
- The submission should be in PDF format only.
All submissions must be typed and adhere to the following guidelines:
- Font Type: Times Roman
- Font Size: 12
- Line Spacing: 1.5
- Alignment: Justified
Criteria for Judgement
All the entries will be judged on the following parameters:
- Adherence to the theme and word limit
- Originality of ideas
- Language and Grammar
- Articulation of ideas
Note: The decision of the judges would be final and binding.
All the participants would have to register themselves using this google form.
There is no participation fee for any event.
- 1st Prize: Cash Prize of INR 1000 and Certificate of Merit
- 1st Runner Up: Cash prize of INR 500 and Certificate of Merit
- Certificate of Participation to all participants of the event.
- Last date of registration: 15th November (11:59 PM)
- Last date of submission of the story: 16th November (11:59 pm)
- Announcement of results: 30th November (Tentative Date)
Kindly forward your queries (if any) at: [email protected]
Libertatem.in is now on Telegram. Follow us for regular legal updates and judgements from the court. Follow us on Google News, Instagram, LinkedIn, Facebook & Twitter. You can also subscribe for our Weekly Email Updates. Libertatem Group does not take any responsibility for the accuracy of this Event Notification. The post has been shared as we received it from the event organizers/host.