About the Winter School
Sambhaavnaa Institute has for the last eight years been organizing a participatory, reflective and perspective-building program on ‘Rethinking Development’ called Nayi Dishayein. This program aims to interweave theory and practice, focusing on building a varied and dynamic understanding of some of the pertinent issues facing our society today. In this program, we work with young participants to:
- Deconstruct, and critically examine, the notion of development – to understand it as a field of ideas. We shall converse with a plethora of narratives and discourses surrounding this notion, and the ways in which they are constructed.
- Examine the root causes of growing inequity in distribution of wealth and resources and opportunities, and its impacts on nature and people, in a society fractured along the lines of gender, caste, race, class, ethnicity, religion, sexuality, knowledge, and language.
- To stretch our imaginations, and re-examine and challenge our beliefs, views, convictions, and privileges resulting from the enduring power structures that stem from the social markers of caste, gender, religion, and class; and how they are linked with the notion(s) of development.
- Examine how the State and its institutions of policy-making and governance influence these power structures and vice versa.
- Assess possibilities of transformation through people’s actions, through an exposure to, and dialogue on, a range of initiatives/movements towards a more just society.
The themes of the program are explored using interactive lectures, group work and group discussions, cinema, theatre of the oppressed, songs of resistance, fieldwork, self-reflections, and importantly, sharing of lived experiences by activists.
Dates and Venue: 19th December to 30th December 2020, Sambhaavnaa Institute, VPO – Kandbari, Tehsil – Palampur, District – Kangra, PIN 176061, Himachal Pradesh
Who is the program for?
If you are in the age group of 21-28 years and seeking engagement with the above deliberations, or you are just figuring out how to frame the questions you would want to ask yourself or trying to understand the interconnections between different issues that you see around yourself, then please join us for an intensive collective churning on them – to open up ‘nayi dishayein’ in both your thinking and … hopefully, living.
Some of the resource persons what have been part of earlier programs are Prashant Bhushan, Praveen Singh, Bezwada Wilson, Manshi Asher, Dunu Roy, Kamla Bhasin, Bhanwar Meghwanshi, Janaki Srinivasan, Dhiren Borisa, Nawal Watali, Vikramaditya, Himanshu Kumar, Mir Suhail. The final list will be updated here as we get confirmations.
Language: Primarily English, and some Hindi.
Contribution for the Program
- They hope that participants would contribute an amount of Rs. 8500 / – towards workshop expenses, inclusive of all onsite workshop costs: boarding, lodging, and all the materials used in the workshop.
- Need-based partial waivers are available; they have a very limited number of partial waivers, so, please apply for a waiver only if you really need it. Do remember that there may be others who need it more than you.
Limited Seats: Due to the coronavirus pandemic we have reduced the size of the batch to only 15 participants. All government issues guidelines will be adhered to during the program.
How to Register?
Interested participants can register for the program through this link.
For more information please Whatsapp or call Shashank – 889 422 7954 or email: [email protected]
For more details, click the link below.
Nayi Dishayein: Winter School on Rethinking ‘Development’ by Sambhaavnaa Institute
Libertatem.in is now on Telegram. Follow us for regular legal updates and judgements from the court. Follow us on Google News, Instagram, LinkedIn, Facebook & Twitter. You can also subscribe for our Weekly Email Updates. Libertatem Group does not take any responsibility for the accuracy of this Event Notification. The post has been shared as we received it from the event organizers/host.