OVERVIEW OF THE COMPANY
StarStar India has defined the Indian media landscape for more than 30 years, and today is one of the country’s leading media conglomerates, reaching around 700 million viewers a month on TV across India and over 100 other countries. Star India’s channel portfolio cuts across general entertainment, films, sports, infotainment, kids, and lifestyle content across eight languages. The network generates over 20,000 hours of content every year and broadcasts 70+ channels, reaching 9 out of 10 C&S TV homes in India. The Star Sports network is one of the leading sports networks with 17 channels in its bouquet. It is home to a number of leading domestic and international sports and is making quantum leaps in transforming sports in the country, helping India become a multi-sporting nation. Disney+ Hotstar, India’s largest premium streaming platform has changed the way Indians watch their entertainment – from their favourite TV shows and movies to sporting extravaganzas. With the widest range of content in India, Disney+ Hotstar offers more than 100,000 hours of TV Shows and Movies in 8 languages, regional and national News, and coverage of every major global sporting event, including the IPL. The company is present in the Indian movie production and distribution space through Fox Star Studios. The studios is also responsible for the marketing and distribution of its Hollywood slate in the country. For more details visit us at http://www.startv.com/
- Demonstrated (hands on experience) subject matter knowledge in structuring, drafting, negotiating and closing distribution contracts and transactions; litigation and piracy matters relating to distribution of company channels.
- Building contract and compliance checklist and processes.
- Research and analysis of various policies, amendments, rules, consultation papers, notifications on TRAI interconnection regulations and distribution related matters
- Conduct Due Diligence of anti-piracy agencies, consultants and participate in the DD closure report, drafting and vetting of contracts, representation and warranties, indemnities. etc.
- Generally providing proactive and reactive legal & compliance advisory services on legal issues involving the company and group companies.
- To identify and find ways to reduce legal risk by regular review of the company’s distribution related activities to ensure that they are in line with established policies, procedures and legal and compliance perspective.
- Timeline adherence for assignments handled
- Ability to coordinate across various functions to ensure completion and compliance
- Providing sound and practical legal advice pertaining to all contractual issues, piracy and litigation inter alia, under TRAI Act and TRAI interconnect regulations, Cable TV Act, contract law, etc.
- Collaborate with key internal and external stakeholders on the above areas.
- LLB from a Premier Law College. LLM from a reputed University would be a plus but not a must.
- Preferably in Telecom, FMCG, Pharma, IT or Broadcasting sectors.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Good and sound knowledge and understanding of contract law, commercial law and litigation
- Demonstrated (hands on experience) in contract drafting, good negotiation, and execution skills i.e., ability to draft, negotiate and close transactions independently with minimal supervision
- A good understanding and application of TRAI broadcasting and cable services inter-connect regulations, quality of services regulations, the Cable TV Act as amended and Rules thereunder, procedural laws such as CPC, CrPC, and also substantive laws such as IPC, and other economic offenses statutes. A reasonable understanding of Intellectual Property Laws such as the Copyright Act & Rules & the Trade Marks Act and rules, ISP, E-commerce, Digital Media, would be a plus
- Should have excellent research, analytical skills and should be able to exercise judgment and discretion to opine on compliance/ legal issues effectively
- Able to mentor and drive efficiencies with direct reportees and to be a trusted member within the legal/compliance team. Should enhance industry specific understanding and be an effective negotiator.
- Well aware of general and sector specific laws.
- Demonstrate (hands on experience) subject matter knowledge in compliance monitoring.
- Good organizational and interpersonal skills, including ability to work effectively within a team and a fast-paced dynamic business environment
- Adaptable to change.
- Able to work under pressure
- Excellent communications skills and the ability to communicate legal issues and solutions in an articulate, precise and effective manner
- Demonstrated skills in leadership and people management.
- Ability to multitask and work in a fast paced environment.
- Good team player
- Ability to travel at short notice anywhere in India. Should be open to intra-group company transfer and postings to other locations in India.
- Leverages business understanding / functional expertise to deliver value to customer
- Anticipates potential barriers and develops alternate strategies; formulates an informed action plan to solve the problem.
- Strong communication skills and good command over English (both oral and written) and the ability to interface with people across all levels in the organization. Pleasing personality is a must.