Job Title: Senior Legal Counsel
About the Organization:
Royal Philips (NYSE: PHG, AEX: PHIA) is a leading health technology company focused on improving people’s health and enabling better outcomes across the health continuum from healthy living and prevention, to diagnosis, treatment and home care. Philips leverages advanced technology and deep clinical and consumer insights to deliver integrated solutions. Headquartered in the Netherlands, the company is a leader in diagnostic imaging, image-guided therapy, patient monitoring and health informatics, as well as in consumer health. Philips’ health technology portfolio generated 2018 sales of EUR 18.1 billion and employs approximately 77,000 employees with sales and services in more than 100 countries.
Philips India Limited is a subsidiary of Royal Philips of the Netherlands, focused on improving people’s lives through meaningful innovation in the areas of Health Care and Personal Health. Philips has strong Brand Equity and recognized amongst most Innovative Companies globally growing better than industry and gaining market shares across categories.
Job location: Gurgaon
Reports to: Head Legal ISC
We are looking for a strategic legal partner equipped to provide general business advisory and support business teams in our perform and transform journey at Philips India. This role will assess scope of work, business processes, workflows, information exchanges, service levels, other commercial and legal aspects of contracts for potential exposure to liability, risks arising from use of proprietary data, trademarks, IP, data security and other non-standard terms and conditions.
This role will need to collaborate closely with business partners to resolve all legal issues and mitigate liability risks. The incumbent will also be required to build awareness of legal risk exposures / prepare and disseminate legal risk exposure mitigation policies and procedures, including standardization of agreements etc. conduct legal audits of various functions to ensure compliance.
We are rapidly growing our team of ground-breaking change agents across Philips, people who think with design & use of legal tech, dream in digital, solve problems with data and analytics, obsess over operations, focus on the details, and lead change with their curious, incisive, and courageous nature.
- The Senior Legal Counsel acts as primary legal support to regional and country management, business units and functions for sales and marketing, distribution, supply chain, procurement, finance, and operations.
- Provides legal subject matter expertise for commercial, litigation, and local regulatory compliance matters. Participates in senior regional and country management teams.
- Provide legal advice to business that can be defined or established within the clear definition of the law. Provides research, information, counsel, and guidance on straightforward legal questions or issues. Assists in the preparation of cases for litigation, reviewing complex documents relating to transactions in which the company is to participate.
- Works on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors.
- The development of the solution requires a multi-disciplinary approach and knowledge of principles, theories and concepts. Formulates the solution for (technical) partial problems that cannot be found by combining previous experiences but by composing newly acquired knowledge.
- May lead multidisciplinary change projects, managing a number of people. Works independently and provides consultative advice within specific functional areas. Introduces methods/procedures that are new for the organization.
- Applies advanced process principles to multiple tasks.
- Proficient in area of specialization and contributes in other disciplines. Determines feasibility of concepts or projects. Has basic knowledge of related disciplines.
- Is a key contributor to developing and implementing legal policies. Takes the lead in defining, implementation and compliance with Philips Business Principles and policies as they relate to the client base, and applicable policies of the particular business
- Defends and/or manages litigation and/or claims and provides training on related issues.
- Leads and is the key legal contributor on sector/company-wide projects that impact and involve several functions within the sector or region.
- Advices -as a top individual contributor- on impactful strategic business opportunities that affect multiple business areas.
- Advices are based on multiple competences and an outstanding international reputation in the relevant peer community within Philips as well as in the outside world.
- Creates long-term winning strategies against competition and translates these into concrete project proposals.
- Has a sustained recent track record in translating opportunities into business successes.
- Participates and actually influences as part of the leadership, the decision making during the definition and direction of his area of expertise via Strategy Meetings and Group- /Sector meetings.
- Interacts internally and externally with executive level management, requiring negotiation of extremely critical matters. Influences policy making
- Servicing / managing a strong board of Directors & shareholder meetings. Interface with Ministry of Corporate affairs.
- Strong interfacing with statutory auditors to address significant and related matters
To succeed in this role, you should have the following skills and experience:
- Prior legal experience of 8+years combining corporate and private law settings including considerable experience with matters pertaining to commercial transactions, litigation management, compliance, and general corporate law matters.
- Ability to demonstrates maturity, judgment and functional expertise when solving legal issues and dealing with both internal and external clients
- Ability to work across diverse and cross functional teams for desired outcomes
- Ability to influence key stakeholders and the Board of Directors for approvals on strategic corporate compliance related matters
- Well conversant with corporate laws with special emphasis on companies’ act, shareholder management.
- Experience in interaction with stakeholders across geographies would be a definite advantage
- Established ability to influence actions without direct leadership responsibility for teams or processes with an ability to establish relationships within a matrixed environment (both cross-functionally and cross-business).
- Shown ability to lead and execute optimally at all levels of the organization.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills – both written and verbal – with a proven ability to communicate to all customers internally and externally to the business.
- Consistent record of investigating and resolving sophisticated compliance issues.
- Solid understanding on a wide range of legal subjects, ability to build on this knowledge, spot issues and bring in specialists as needed.
- Adept to work on high bandwidth and support variety of Business needs.
- Proven ability to meet tight deadlines; ability to prioritize, plan, coordinate and execute on assignments, peer manage relations with colleagues of other fields.
- Strong analytical ability, creativity, and good judgment in resolving legal issues.
- Professional Qualifications: Bachelor of Laws/Master of Laws degree. CS is desirable