The Johnson & Johnson Law Department is recruiting for an on-site Senior Counsel reporting to the Senior Legal Director (Head of Legal) at Medical Devices India.
- Provide legal counsel, strategic guidance and support to the Medical Devices operation of Johnson & Johnson Private Limited (JJMI); primarily, One Ethicon, and Johnson & Johnson Surgical Vision India Private Limited (JJSV)
- Provide independent legal counsel, strategic guidance and support primarily to the Franchise leaders and be part of the leadership team of One Ethicon and JJSV.
- Proactively assess legal risks to the operations and work with the Head of Legal to construct and implement policies and procedures to address and manage those risks including preventative actions, trainings and communications.
- Exercise communications and other skills in order to be able to positively influence the leadership team and management of One Ethicon and JJSV to make well considered decisions and achieve compliant success of operations.
- Provide guidance on and ensure compliance with relevant laws and regulations applicable to the operations of One Ethicon and JJSV including any relevant industry codes.
- When necessary, collaborate with other lawyers in the Law Department in the JJMI team and/or other regions for business development initiatives (e.g. M&A and licensing transactions) including due diligence reviews, negotiation of transaction and drafting/execution of deal documentations.
- Engage and manage outside counsel (including seconded counsels, if applicable) including providing appropriate budgets for outside counsel and setting ground rules for the operations on when and how to request outside legal services/support.
- Manage all litigation, dispute resolution, and any internal and external investigations related to the business operations assigned by the Head of Legal.
- Provide legal input and guidance to the employees of JJMI and other J&J group entities on all J&J policies and procedures including the Code of Business Conduct, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, Corporate Integrity Agreements, and the Health Care Compliance and Health Care Business Integrity Guide. This includes advising employees on any new policies or required changes to existing policies and creating with the country lead counsel appropriate training for employees on such policies.
- Provide legal counsel and support on legal issues and risk management for some enabling functions (shared functions) of JJMI and JJSV (examples of such enabling functions are Human Resources, Quality, Government Affairs, Medical Affairs, Supply Chain, Sales, Procurement, Communications, Marketing, Finance, IT and General Affairs).
- Proactively partner and work with other Johnson & Johnson lawyers in the country (other sectors) /region/global to drive local alignment with country (cross-sector), regional and global legal best practices and knowledge sharing.
- Advise operations on its copy clearance of materials and internet-related activities;
- LL.B. or LL.M. from a reputed university/law school in India.
Experience and Skills:
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- 9-12 years PQE
- Experience working in multi-national corporations (ideally with experience doing legal work in the health care industry) is preferable, but not a prerequisite.
- Broad corporate experience, ideally advising senior leaders of business units or functions is favorable.
- Ability to go beyond law and ethics to live Our Credo – the business foundation of J&J over the last 70 years, and to incorporate Our Credo in making appropriate decisions.
- Comfortable and willing to work as part of a team, and open to different roles and responsibilities in a changing environment.
- Keen to interact with diverse group of people spanning a broad range of business teams and executives within the client organizations.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively across all levels of a complex matrix organization and capability to accept sudden changes.
- Superior communication skills and proven ability to counsel senior management on complex legal matters.
- Ability to work effectively in a multi-national company and cross-border environment.
- Self-starter with strong drive for results & strong sense of ownership but also willing to take direction from various stakeholders.
- Client Oriented – ability to proactively connect and engage with operations to find practical or innovative solutions (including alternative solutions, if applicable) and partner with them to implement desired actions and lead compliant success of operations.
- Judgment capability, good consultative skills, and structural thinking.
- Objective thinker who is able to advance ideas and influence others.
- Ability to manage conflicts in an open and constructive manner.
- Able to lead by example and ensure high ethical, legal and compliance standards and be proactive in engaging organization to identify opportunities to enhance ethics and anti-corruption practices and procedures.
- Strong ability to deal with ambiguity and simplify issues for clients.
Click here to apply