We are seeking a self-motivated and dedicated professional with an affinity for strategic and operational support in large and complex maritime casualties. The vacancy will fill a role within Maersk’s Incident Management & Strategic Support team.
This role offers a unique opportunity to further develop a career as a specialist within the area of casualty handling and maritime litigation management. The position is based in Mumbai, India and will report to Manager – Incident Management & Strategic Support.
The nature of this profile demands flexibility of work timings depending on the incident.
This is team’s primary and main responsibility and thus takes priority over other tasks.
Coordinate the flow of information and mitigate the loss arising from marine incidents, such as fire, collision, grounding and heavy weather damage.
Liaise with Operations, Commercial Teams and External network (P&I Insurers, correspondents, law firms, GA adjusters, salvage traders).
Provide information, guidance and support to internal and external stakeholders.
Handling legal disputes, negotiations, dispute resolution, recoveries against liable third parties and settlements in co-operation with the relevant internal stakeholders.
Responsibility for all court cases, collecting relevant information, costing, assessing, summarizing and maintaining the claims system
Support Incident team:
– Engage with internal stakeholders to constantly improve and share best practices in relation to incident handling.
– Liaise with external stakeholders to devise incident handling protocols.
– Application of risk management and incident handling routines to devise and execute action plans as soon the team receives notification of an incident requiring the activation of such plans.
– Identify and retain contemporaneous evidence in preparation of claims and recovery arising from the incident.
Support Legal Counsel, Mumbai
– Manage and monitor development on new matters arising with focus on claims requiring the involvement of external legal counsel.
– Ensure the timely engagement and assistance of frontline commercial colleagues to avoid cost exposure.
– Legal loss prevention in terms of avoidance of unnecessary court actions.
– Coordinate with Lawyers as and when required.
– Obtain quarterly reports on the status of the cases handled by them
To ensure all documents related to court cases are duly electronically stored/physically stored for easy access/retrieval.
To maintain confidentiality/safekeeping of documents in custody.
Mapping and sharing lessons learnt while handling cases in various jurisdictions.
• Always act in a manner consistent with and loyal to the Maersk Values.
Challenge of the job/problem solving:
The person needs to be highly self-motivated with a solution driven attitude.
The person needs to be highly analytical with strong attention to detail, without losing sight of the overall bigger perspective.
To have the ability to develop a good rapport with a variety of stakeholders from different cultures, identifying and meeting their needs whilst ensuring a beneficial outcome for the carrier.
The ability to wear different hats and remain level-headed and flexible in a variety of situations.
We are looking for:
– Law graduate with proven experience in managing maritime casualties, Hull & Machinery, cargo claims, maritime litigation
– Sound shipping Knowledge and understanding of operations.
– In depth understanding of legal principles underpinning international trade, bills of lading and COGSA.
Training/Special Skills Required:
– Future oriented decision making
– Attention to Detail
– Solution and result-oriented mindset towards court case handling
– Is highly motivated to learn as well as share knowledge
– Excellent written and spoken English
– Focus on Quality
– Work under pressure
– Tactful and effective handling of multiple stakeholders
– Ability to perform in and contribute to a team-oriented environment
– Ability to analyze, structure and organize tasks and work independently
Last application date: 30/4/2021
For further information, please contact: Rajeshwari Bhadange