Microchip Legal Department provides legal advice to the company’s various business units in the areas of commercial transactions, corporate law matters, software and technology licensing, intellectual property licensing and management, regulatory matters, dispute resolution, and litigation.
Corporate Counsel will work with Microchip’s Legal Department located in Bangalore, India and Chandler, Arizona to provide international support to Microchip and its affiliates. Corporate Counsel will work with the Practice Group Manager to meet Microchip’s global needs. This will include drafting, review, and negotiation of contracts that are primarily governed by the laws of Ireland, the U.K., or a state in the United States. Corporate Counsel will be expected to be a transactional and corporate attorney liaising with various groups of Microchip such as Engineering, Marketing, Supply Management, Finance, Human Resources, Information Services, and Site Services.
Responsibilities will include the following:
- Review, draft, and negotiate international contracts (including Non-Disclosure and Confidentiality Agreements, Purchase and Services Agreements, Consultancy Agreements and related Statements of Work, Software Licenses, Technology Licenses, Lease Agreements, Leave and License, Indenture of Lease, Letters of Intent, Term Sheets) that are primarily governed by the laws of Ireland, the U.K., or a state in the United States, and provide practical guidance on various international transactions.
- Advise and assist teams during negotiation with vendors, contractors, consultants, and/or customers.
- Settle appropriate actions and solutions for contracts and business issues related to non-standard or customised offerings.
- Advise on compliance with company policies and provide guidance with a view to achieving the best solution.
- See opportunities for scalable operations (based on optimal work processes and/or legal technologies) on a continuing basis, and implement solutions accordingly.
- Manage relationships with outside counsel as approved by the General Counsel or Practice Group Manager.
- Work with global Finance and Tax Departments and outside tax advisors.
- Support affiliates across ASEAN in corporate law and governance matters including international restructurings.
- Support commercial litigation in ASEAN, and other matters, as necessary.
- L.L.B. in Law
- Enrollment with the Bar Council of India
- Minimum of 5 years experience practicing law
- Fluent in English (reading, writing, legal drafting, comprehending spoken English and speaking)
- Prior inhouse experience with a multi-national corporation headquartered in the U.S., U.K., or Ireland, with hands-on experience working on various contracts governed by laws of U.S., U.K., or Ireland.
- Prior experience in the semiconductor industry, other high technology industry, or working for a manufacturing company
- Strong business ethics and integrity
- Effective at providing guidance to employees at all levels of an organization
- Substantial experience drafting and negotiating commercial contracts in English
- Ability to provide practical guidance regarding commercial contracts
- Ability to convey complex legal issues in clear and concise terms
- Possess high attention to detail and drive to follow-through on open items until closure
- Ability to work independently without supervision
- Computer skills (e.g., Microsoft Office Suite, e-mail, and internet)
- Some domestic and international travel may be needed from time to time